Thursday, February 09, 2006

In the Heartland

It had been a few years since I was last in Iowa but it only took a few minutes to know that I'd arrived. It was the coffee!! I mean, Iowa is one of the only places on earth, I think, where coffee is so weak. Not a Starbucks to be seen in Waterloo. Well, that's not quite true.....there was a Starbucks in the Target store! But that's about all I was able to find. Not that Starbucks is that great, mind you, but at least the coffee is worth drinking. I had forgotten how weak Iowa's coffee is. Twenty five years ago when I was making my parish rounds in central Iowa, pretty much every farm home had a warm pot of coffee. It was the same then.....pretty weak. I guess that's why those farmers could drink so much all winter long and still keep so steady. But in those intervening years, Americans woke up to a stronger cup of java and I found my way back to Europe where they've brewed the stuff for real over the centuries. Europeans who have ventured into the heartland of America inevitably remark on the strange coffee that's served there. The whole subject is a subject of some derision. But, if they've gotten word of it, the people of Iowa could care less and they still keep serving up that colored hot water they all "coffee." With every sip, I knew I was at home in the Heartland.

2 Comments:

At 2/09/2006 7:38 PM, Anonymous JAC said...

Starbucks it ain't
Gives Water--loo a new meaning!!

 
At 2/16/2006 12:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never knew you liked coffee so much!
Brad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home